Programa(s) a cargo: Programa de Ecosistema y Captura incidental
Haga clic para ver proyectos por tema, meta u objetivo:
- In collaboration with SPC, use the EASI-Fish ERA approach to undertake a Pacific-wide vulnerability assessment of shark species caught as bycatch in tuna fisheries managed by the IATTC and WCPFC
- To identify the most vulnerable species using traditional biological reference points
- In 2021, SPC developed species distribution models for all shark bycatch species caught in WCPFC tuna fisheries with the intent to undertake a vulnerability assessment using the EASI-Fish approach.
- Many of the species examined by SPC have a Pacific-wide distribution and therefore cross the jurisdictional boundary between the IATTC and WCPFC.
- In 2022, SPC will conduct the first shark assessment using EASI-Fish. Therefore, in order to better model the true extent of fishery impacts on cross jurisdictional stocks, the SPC and IATTC staff will collaborate in the assessment.
- Importancia para la ordenación
- EASI-Fish assessments can transparently identify vulnerable species by using well established biological reference points, thus minimizing the chances of incurring false positives that may require improper and costly management actions to be taken. Many ERAs have previously been undertaken on individual fisheries or jurisdictions, thus underestimating true fishery impacts on shared stocks. By undertaking a Pacific-wide EASI-Fish assessment for shared stocks both the IATTC and WCPFC will better understand the true extent of fishery impacts on assessed stocks, and be able to identify species of high vulnerability in order to subject to further assessment or management as required.
- 12 months
- Plan de trabajo y estatus
- Sep 2021-June 2022: complete Pacific-wide EASI-Fish assessment in collaboration with SPC and identify vulnerable species.
- Aug 2022: present assessment results at WCPFC SC in 2022.
- May 2023: present assessment results at SAC-14 in 2023, if required.
- Colaboradores externos
- Paper and oral presentation at SAC-14 and WCPFC SC, if required.
- A scientific journal publication.