You can use the Project Search Tool below to browse over the staff’s research projects, including their brief summaries, that are currently under way, or planned for the near future and funded under the 5-year Strategic Science Plan (2019-2023). The summaries include, for each project, background information, a work plan, and a progress report, as well as details of its relevance and purpose, external collaborators, duration, and deliverables; also, for existing projects, an update on activities since the previous year’s report.
This information can also be found on the IATTC-98b-Staff activities and research plan.
7 Project(s)L.1.a - Develop habitat models for bycatch species caught in the EPO to support ecological risk assessments (ERAs)01 Jun 2018 - 01 Oct 2022FundedObjectives:
L.1.b - Develop a flexible spatially-explicit ERA approach for quantifying the cumulative impact of tuna fisheries on data-limited bycatch species in the EPO01 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2021FundedObjectives:
- To use presence-only catch data to develop habitat models for all bycatch species caught in EPO tuna fisheries to facilitate mapping of their geographic range.
- To make distribution maps available in a format suitable for use as base maps for ecological risk assessment models (PSA, EASI-Fish)
01 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018FundedObjectives:
- To develop a spatially-explicit model for quantifying the cumulative impact of multiple fisheries on data-limited bycatch species in the EPO
- To use the model to prioritize potentially vulnerable species for further research and/or management
- To design the model in a user-friendly format to maximize uptake and utilization by IATTC CPCs
L.2.b - Vulnerability assessment of elasmobranch bycatch in EPO tuna fisheries using the EASI-Fish approach01 Nov 2021 - 31 May 2022FundedObjectives:
- To improve the currently used PSA methodology by reducing the number of redundant biological attributes without compromising PSA results.
- Apply the new PSA methodology to existing assessments of the purse seine fishery (class 6 vessels) and the industrial longline fishery.
- To prepare manuscripts for publication in a peer-reviewed scientific journal for (1) improved PSA methodology, and (2) purse seine and longline fishery PSA results.
L.2.c - Assessing the efficacy of potential management options on highly vulnerable shark species in the EPO01 May 2022 - 31 May 2023FundedObjectives:
- To use the EASI-Fish ERA approach to assess the vulnerability status of elasmobranch species caught as bycatch in EPO fisheries
- To identify vulnerable species using traditional biological reference points
L.2.d - Pacific-wide vulnerability assessment of pelagic shark species caught as bycatch in tuna fisheries01 Sep 2021 - 31 May 2023FundedObjectives:
- To use the EASI-Fish ERA approach to assess the efficacy of potential conservation and management measures for reducing fishing impacts on shark species identified in project L.2.b as being highly vulnerable in the EPO
L.2.e - Vulnerability assessment and efficacy of potential conservation measures for the east Pacific leatherback turtle stock01 Jun 2021 - 31 May 2022FundedObjectives:
- In collaboration with SPC, use the EASI-Fish ERA approach to undertake a Pacific-wide vulnerability assessment of shark species caught as bycatch in tuna fisheries managed by the IATTC and WCPFC
- To identify the most vulnerable species using traditional biological reference points
- To use the EASI-Fish ERA approach to assess vulnerability status and the efficacy of conservation and management measures prescribed under IATTC Resolution C-19-04 for reducing fishing impacts on the East Pacific stock of leatherback turtle (Dermochelys coriacea).