Program(s) in charge: Stock Assessment Program
Click to see projects by theme, goal or target:
- Theme 3. Sustainable fisheries
- Evaluate the reliability of the data obtained on identification of FADs.
- Investigate methods to determine purse-seine set type from various sources of data (i.e. Observers, vessel logbooks, canneries, etc.).
- Evaluate the relationship between catch and number of FAD deployments.
- Investigate more precise measures of fishing capacity that take into consideration days fished, set type, and vessel characteristics.
- Investigate the relationship between fishing mortality and fleet capacity.
- Evaluate alternative management measures such as closed areas, individual vessel limits, and gear restrictions.
- The constantly increasing capacity of the purse-seine fleet in the EPO requires more stringent management measures.
- Several management measures have been investigated as an alternative to increasing the seasonal closure.
- However, the measure of fishing capacity used to determine the days of closure is somewhat simplistic, and a more precise measure of capacity, and the relationship between capacity and fishing mortality, need to be investigated.
- Also, the relationship between the number of FADs deployed and catches needs to be better understood.
- Although the staff has conducted some initial analyses, further studies need to be carried out to provide alternative management measures.
- Relevance for management
- The results of the project will enable the staff to refine current measures and develop alternative recommendations for managing tropical tunas in the EPO, and provide the Commission with additional tools when developing management measures.
- 24 months
- Workplan and status
- 2018 – Initial analyses of the data that will lead to new insights
- 2019 – Further analyses to improve the staff’s management advice
- 2020 – Apply the lessons learnt from the project and provide recommendations on both alternative management measures and additional data collection.
- Multiple reports for the meetings of the SAC and the Commission, including recommendations on tuna conservation and possibly on improvements to data collection.
- Software will be created that can be used to update the analyses with new data and/or alternative assumptions and new methods.